Thursday, August 30, 2007

Toddler Trauma

So, for those of you who don't know, Luca officially moved up to the toddler room last Monday. I'm not sure who it was more traumatic for, mommy or Luca. At first, I thought it would go over fairly smoothly. Luca has been around the toddler staff and kids all summer and usually loves going over to hang out with the big kids. What I didn't expect was Luca's reaction when coming back to Mom was no longer an option. Talk about the drama. I think mommy cried more than the Bear.

So, the first few days were rough. My room is connected to the toddler room and Luca would come to the door and scream and cry in the most pathetic drawn out voice. "Mama! Mama!" he would cry, like I had forgotten all about him. Several times a day, we would endure this torture.

The toddler room is a whole new ballgame. He went from a class of 12 babies and 3 teachers to a class of 26 toddlers and 4 teachers. He only takes one afternoon nap. He sits at a little table on a little chair for meals and snacks. He uses his own spoon. He drinks from a cup (which ends up on his shirt, usually). He picks out his activity, works with it, and then puts it back on the shelf. He washes his hands in the sink and throws away his paper towel.

While the newness of it all was overwhelming, I am so happy for him now. The toddler teachers are AMAZING with a capital A. They are great at what they do and being a Montessori toddler room, he is already learning by leaps and bounds. Every time I peek in at him, he's working on something wonderful. So, all in all, it's getting better. The only time I hear him cry now is at drop off, and that's Anthony's job. ;) I get the joy of going to "pick him up" in the afternoons, which is marvelous. Best part of my day.

No comments: