

Anthony, Luca and I took place in our first "athon" (as Anthony called it) on Sunday. We walked to raise money and show our support for the March of Dimes. This charity is near and dear to our hearts and it felt wonderful to be able to support such a worthwhile cause. One of the first things that cheered me up after my loss was wearing a March of Dimes "Saving Babies" wristband. It gave me a sense of comfort to look down at my wrist and see that I was keeping my lost one close to my heart. I wore mine for a few weeks, until the worst of the pain had gone. Anthony, however, wore his until the day we found out we were pregnant with Luca. Nothing has ever touched me more.
But I digress... The day was gorgeous - 80's and sunny - and we were pumped to do a 5 mile walk around a beautiful neighborhood near downtown Minneapolis. I was quite emotional at the start of the walk, mainly because as I looked around at all the people, I empathized with what they have gone through. Seeing all the homemade t'shirts in memoriam of lost babies or in celebration of babies who DID make it was overwhelming at times.
One of my favorite shirts said "Proud Parent of Three Preemies", followed by the children's names and gestational week of birth. One was born at 33 wks, another at 29 wks, and the last at 28 wks. All three children were there walking, looking healthy and vibrant and beautiful. It is inspiring to know that the research and funding of the March of Dimes probably helped to save those children's lives.
So while we came home exhausted and sweaty and Luca missed his morning nap, I would do it again in a heartbeat - and plan to next year. We thank everyone so much that gave to the March of Dimes in our name and are proud that we doubled our goal!







No comments:
Post a Comment